Friday, February 26, 2010

Toy Trucks


These simple wooden toys were made by hand in a learning workshop. That’s what the sticker underneath tells me. They look quite used, so one little boy probably must have loved to play a lot with them. Yet then his parents threw them out heartlessly when he grew too old for them.

As always it is beyond my understanding. Despite the scratches and dents in the wood they are not broken and I found them ready to use for another child on the curb. Such an honest, safe, non-chemical and plastic free toy can only be found in specialized shops these days and probably at a price. Now mine may be a bit rougher than those professionally made but still I couldn’t leave them to go to waste. They waited a couple of years in my storage because I didn’t know anybody with little boys at the time.

Recently I met a lady – my current crochet student - who does have one and on top works with the 4-6 year old group in a school. After last week’s session I sent her home with some rescued children’s books I suddenly remembered my two wooden trucks. And was reminded again this morning when I had to dig up the cat carrier for a visit to the vet’s with one of my furry ones.
Suzanne was very pleased with her welcoming present this afternoon. And if her son outgrows the trucks she can donate them to her school’s toy corner where they will probably last for many years to come.

I do believe my student is getting more than her worth’s money for her class and I hope she thinks so too, but I like it and I can’t think of a more rewarding destination for my toy rescues.
It made me feel very happy today, despite the bad news that my cat is going to have to undergo very costly surgery which I can barely afford.

But perhaps you could consider to see if one of my sponsors is worth visiting for you. Or otherwise take a look if there's something in my Etsy shop that you like? Thanks in advance!

9 comments:

brittany shoot said...

I'm so very sorry to hear about your cat! I've paid for a number of very expensive feline surgeries myself. Do you have a PayPal link to put up? Might be a few of us who can directly donate... ;)

Hang in there and let us know how the little kitty is doing. Looks like my first cat Homer.

Le-Chat said...

Hi Brittany, how nice to hear from you! You are too sweet. I didn't want to just beg for $$, but if anyone really wants to of course they can contact me through the email in my profile and I will gladly send them my Paypal address. But I thought it would be nicer if you all could just help promote my lovely handmade items :)

Dorothy said...

And they are lovely things, and I will stop by.

Dorothy from grammology
grammology.com

Le-Chat said...

Hi Dorothy and thank you so much. And your comment reminded me to revistit your blog. Always a pleasure and food for thought!

Anonymous said...

It would be infinite fun for a kid to have the opportunity to paint those trucks her/hiself.

Amila Kanchana said...

The toys look to be in good condition. you did good thing. Way to go!

Joanne Love said...

These are beautiful, I am so glad you rescued them! They remind me of the toys my grandfather used to make us as children.... which we then donated to my mother's classroom when we got too old for them ;-)

Le-Chat said...

gapingwhole, I sure would have loved that when I was a kid.
smart readers, thanks for stopping by, I commented on your rain water post.
And Joanne, thanks too, love your blog you're very resourceful. Congrats on opening your Etsy shop, I just gave you your second heart!

Roger said...

I am very sorry to hear the bad news and wish your cat may recovery soon.